According to Wikipedia, Social Media Optimization, known as SMO, in short, is ¨the use of a number of outlets and communities to generate publicity to increase the awareness of a product, service brand or event. Types of social media involved include RSS feeds, social news and bookmarking sites, as well as social networking sites such as Facebook, Twitter, video sharing websites and blogging sites.¨
Social Media Optimization functions similarly to SEO as both work towards acquiring as much traffic as possible for a site. One of the major objectives of social media optimization is to propel online profiles to share the content´s links to website to as many social media platforms as possible. Social media optimization primarily functions to generate content that is unique and captivating, to say the least. And, when we talk content, we are not limiting it to just text—it could be fun video snippets, wonderfully captured images of picturesque views etc.
Gone are the days when people used to solely rely on TV channels to know the news. Since 2010, with younger people on the forefront, social media platforms have usurped TV channels as the number 1 source for news.
So, what strategies are required to ensure social media optimization?
Well, you need to do a variety of things to ensure social media optimization.
- First and foremost, it is imperative for you to acquire backlinks to your site.
- You must also generate numerous inbound links. You must integrate links to your sites in order to enhance the user experience.
- You should also focus on tagging and bookmarking and you can easily do so by installing features such as ¨add to Twitter, add to Instagram etc.¨ Of course, you must give other people permission to use your content.
- In order to drive visitors to your website, you can consider integrating YouTube videos to your site. You should also ensure that your content reaches relevant sites through whatever way possible. Doing this will increase the chances of your site building back links.
What is the importance of Social Media Optimization?
Getting involved with social media optimization will provide you with a host of benefits and advantages. So, how can it help you exactly?
- Well, firstly, social media optimization will not create a hole in your pocket; it is cost effective. Compared to traditional forms of marketing, social media optimization is simply dirt cheap and it helps drive traffic from different sources. Your site will no longer have to solely depend on search engines.
- Since you are in complete charge of the operation, you can only share your content to sites and social media platforms that are relevant to what you are providing, thus, helping you reach target audience.
- Social media optimization basically does a stellar job of helping build brands; it helps increase the awareness of a product, event, or brand through the use of numerous social media platforms.
- People talk a lot and they generally speak a lot about things they see on social media platforms. If the products, services, and content etc. are to their liking, they will tell their relatives about it. They will be able to share the products, services, and content to their friends, relatives through social media platforms easily. Thus, they end up subconsciously advertising for you.
- Social media optimization also plays an instrumental role in helping increase relevant links; search engines love links that are created through tagging, sharing, bookmarking, and posting. The more backlinks you have, the more the chances of your site ranking high in search engines.
Why must you use Social Media Optimization?
Social Media Optimization can work as a communication channel for you and your viewers, visitors, customers. By having a strong online presence, your visitors and customers can easily reach you through your social media profile. When your customers can reach you easily and vice-versa, you will be able to respond to their queries, complaints, and suggestions etc. as soon as possible. And, when you provide them with a quick reply, it will assure the customers of your credibility as a reliable business organization, therefore, ensuring customer satisfaction. This mode of communication will ultimately strengthen your relationship with your customer and it will help you cater to the needs and requirements of your customers as well.